The Brilliant Club
The Brilliant Club at Holy Cross
What is The Brilliant Club?
The Brilliant Club is an award-winning university access programme that works with Holy Cross and universities.
The Brilliant Club works with Holy Cross to increase the number of pupils from under-represented backgrounds progressing to highly selective universities. This is done by mobilising the PhD community to share its academic expertise with us.
How does it work?
• The Scholars Programme places a university researchers (PhD tutors) in our school.
• The PhD tutors teach university-style tutorials to small groups of children. Many of these researchers are lecturers to students at university level, so it is a unique opportunity for your child to experience university-style teaching.
• At the start and at the end of the programme, the children will visit two leading universities.
• At the end of the programme the children will complete a final assignment
How will my child be selected to take part in The Scholars Programme?
Your child’s teachers have identified your son or daughter as having the potential to make a successful application to one of the most selective universities. Although university may not be for everyone, The Scholars Programme aims to give children an experience of university learning to help them make an informed decision.
The Launch Trip
The Launch Trip will take place at one of our partner universities and will involve:
• A tour
• A study skills session
• The chance to meet and ask questions of current students
• Advice and guidance from the university
• The first tutorial with the pupils’ PhD Tutor
The Programme Structure